【NEWS - 130803】Joo Won Says He′ll Showcase a Different Type of Autistic Character

Joo Won showed his determination to act as a new type of autistic character in KBS2′s Good Doctor.

The press conference for the drama was held on July 31.


The actor said about his role, "He′s a unique character that any actor would love to try in his career, but I was also worried because he was a difficult type. I was able to let go of my worries thanks to help from producer Ki Min Soo, whom I previously worked with in Ojakgyo Brothers."

He added, "The most popular image of autistic characters was set down by senior Shin Hyeon Jun′s Gi Bong in Barefoot Gi Bong, and so though many characteristics define autism the public only knew of the condition through Gi Bong. It was hard to try and express autism in a different way because of that."

Joo Won appears in Good Doctor as Park Si On, a man who was diagnosed to have savant syndrome. Savant syndrome defines a condition in which an autistic person shows great talent in a specific area. Park Si On ends up going to Korea′s best institute for pediatric surgery.

"I met people with developmental disorders for my Park Si On role, and I was surprised at how they spoke like every other person," he said. "That′s why it was difficult to piece together what the public knows, what I know and what I needed to show in the drama."

Good Doctor airs its first episode on August 5.

Reach reporter Choi Eunhwa on Twitter @silvercandy88!

--
Source: mwave
Photo credit: MBN
Previous
Next Post »